• 400 cigarettes or 200 cigarillos or 100 cigars or 500 grammes of tobacco products, provided only one type of tobacco products is imported (otherwise only half of the quantities allowed);
• Only for persons of 21 years and older: alcoholic beverages: 2 litres;
• A reasonable quantity of perfume for personal use;
• Goods up to an amount of RUB 65,000.- for personal use only;
• Caviar (factory packed) max. 250 grammes per person.
• Photographs and printed matter directed against Russian Fed.. Acipenseridae family (sturgeons) fish and any product made thereof and live animals (subject to special permit). Military arms and ammunition, narcotics, fruit and vegetables. Dairy and meat products from Armenia and Georgia.
• Arms and ammunition.
• Customs declaration, which will be filled out on entry of Russian Fed. must be kept carefully. When leaving Russian Fed. this declaration has to be handed over, even when travelling to another C.I.S. country.
• Dairy and meat products are permitted (except from Armenia and Georgia), provided packed in original factory packing and in quantities that can be considered for own personal use. Larger quantities will be subject to inspection and traveller will be requested to provide the appropriate documentation, including veterinary health documents.
• Cats, dogs and birds must be accompanied by: veterinarian health certificate (nationals of C.I.S. countries may present a veterinary license instead) bearing seal of local Board of Health and issued no more than ten days prior to arrival (or international Veterinary Passport). Pigeons must be accompanied by a certificate which proves they are free from bird flu; international veterinary passport. For all animals, except cats & dogs, special import permission from Veterinary dept. Ministry of Agriculture is required. (Generally pets are not permitted in hotels.)
• For travellers entering the Russian Fed., a limit of baggage allowance of 35 kg and/or a value of RUB 65,000 exists. If exceeding the limit, a customs fee of EUR 4per kilo will apply or a 30% axis on top of the excess value to be collected.
• Goods for personal use
• Arms, ammunition, precious metals, (gold, silver, etc.) and articles made thereof (also if containing precious stones and/or real pearls).
• Acipenseridae family (sturgeons) fish and any product made thereof.
• Antiquities (i.e. any article older than 50 years) and art objects (subject to duty and special permit from the Ministry of Culture), furs.
• Archeological, historical and artistic objects are allowed with obligatory written permission of Ministry of Cultural Affairs and with a photograph of the exported object.
• For all kind of weapon besides declaration a special permit from Internal Affairs Ministry is needed.
Basic health information for travelers to Russia
• Food poisoning, TB, rabies and tick-borne encephalitis occur in Russia. Travellers to, and residents of, the Moscow region should be aware of the increase in notified rabies cases.
• All travellers should seek medical advice before travelling to the country and ensure that all appropriate vaccinations are up to date.
Basic security information for travelers to Russia
• There is a high threat from terrorism. Attacks cannot be ruled out and could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.
• Racially motivated attacks do occur in Russia. Travellers of Asian or Afro-Caribbean descent should take extra care.
• The North Caucasus remains an unstable and potentially dangerous region.
• Due to an unstable and potentially dangerous in North Caucasus, all travellers must have the correct documents including the right visa for the purpose of your visit, and meet registration requirements.
• All travellers must carry your original passport at all times in the Russian Federation. A copy will not be sufficient.
For further assistance please contact the Russian Customs authorities directly. They will provide the latest information about customs regulations and export-import procedures.
Russian Customs contact information
For additional information about travel restrictions, security warnings, political updates, and basic travel guidelines, please contact the nearest Russian Embassy.
List of Russian Embassies all over the world: http://russia.visahq.co.uk/embassy/United-Kingdom/
If you have any information about the custom requirements of Russia that could be helpful to others, please use this form to post your comments. Any details related to the customs procedures, regulations, or any other specifics about the customs requirements of Russia that will help other people will be greatly appreciated.